It is undisputed that Japan is the market leader when it comes to technological advancements and manufacturing prowess in many industries. This ranges from automobiles, robotics, nanotechnology, and even making coffee brew makers.
Yes, you heard that right. Japan has some of the most advanced companies that manufacture cold coffee brew makers.
In this article, we will review some of the best Japanese cold brew makers in detail.
Yama Glass Cold Brew Maker
Yama Glass Cold Brew Maker is a drip coffee machine from the Yama Glass brand. It uses a slow drip technology and can make up to 8 cups. The slow drip ensures that you get the most from the coffee grounds.
• It takes around 3-4 hours to deliver the cold brew compared to other methods that can take up to 16 hours.
• It has a Borosilicate Glass that does not absorb external contamination since it is non-porous.
• It has a wooden tower that is specifically styled aesthetically for your kitchen or café.
• Assembly is required once you purchase the coffee maker.
• The ice could end up blocking the top chamber and hindering the dripping.
• There have been cases of the valve not closing properly, though not all of them.
• The coffee brewer is delicate and should be handled with utmost care. There are complaints where the machine is delivered with some parts broken but the broken parts are replaced upon request.
Takeya Patented Deluxe Cold Brew Coffee Maker
The deluxe cold brew coffee maker is made of plastic and has a capacity of 1 liter. It has 4 parts: the jug, the handle, the lid, and the coffee filter. The Tritan plastic used in this coffee maker is BPA-free and has an airtight lid and a silicone handle. This coffee maker can serve you for a while.
The process of brewing is easy. You just have to place the coffee grounds in the filter and put water in the plastic bottle. Put back the filter with the coffee grounds and close the lid. Let it brew for around 16 hours.
• Any type of coffee grounds can be used. The Deluxe cold brew coffee maker has a fine mesh that can filter all kinds of coffee grounds and prevent them from dripping into your coffee.
• The Tritan plastic can be able to withstand hot temperatures without damage.
• The water bottle comes in many sizes: 18, 24, 32, 40, and 64 oz.
• The coffee maker fits in most fridges.
• Easy to clean
• Easy to use
• There is no fill line and thus, you do not have a ready-made scale for measuring how much water you are pouring into the coffee maker. You have to pre-measure your water.
• Numerous cases of coffee grounds leaking into the coffee.
• Takes many hours to brew (Around 16 hours).
Asobu Cold Brew Portable Coffee Maker
The Asobu Cold Brew Coffee Maker is made of vacuum insulated stainless steel. The coffee maker can brew up to 34 oz at a time. This gives it a capacity of around 4 to 5 cups. The item measures 4.75 by 4.75 by 12.25 inches and weighs around 2.42 pounds.
To brew your coffee, fill the mesh with 1.3 ounces of coffee grounds, pour the water in and leave it to brew for 12 or more hours.
• Easy to assemble and take apart for cleaning.
• Easy to use.
• It is aesthetically pleasing.
• The lid is airtight and leak-proof and this keeps the coffee away from contamination and from spilling.
• It has double copper insulated walls to ensure that the coffee remains cold and fresh for hours.
• It is BPA free
• Long durability.
• The product as a whole is tall and cannot fit in many refrigerators.
• Takes a long to brew (12-24 hours).
• Cases of leaks after several uses.
• A bit expensive compared to other coffee makers with the same specifications.
Hario Mizudashi Cold Brew Coffee Pot
This one is made by the Japanese giant, Hario. This is one of the most popular and cost-friendly Japanese cold coffee brew makers. It is also extremely easy to use. You just have to put the coffee grounds on the fine mesh, add some water and leave it in the fridge to brew.
• Very easy to use. No set up required.
• Very pocket-friendly compared to other coffee makers. It goes for just USD 21 on Amazon.
• It is made of high-quality heatproof glass and this means that it cannot be affected or destroyed by heat.
• The filter is made of durable plastic.
• It is smaller. It can only brew at most 5 cups at a time (1000ml).
• The glass is very thin, if not handled properly, it will break over time.
• The filter sits very high. The product is also very long and this makes it unsuitable for brewing a single cup of coffee. The water must be high enough to come into contact with the coffee grounds in the filter.
• The long nature makes it not fit in some refrigerators.
Osaka Glass Cold Brew Coffee Maker
This is another well-known cold coffee maker from Osaka Brands with a capacity of 34 ounces (1 liter). It is very easy to use.
You just have to put the coffee grounds in the filter and add some cold water to the main container made of Borosilicate glass. Allow the coffee to brew for 12-24 hours.
• It is very easy to use. You do not need to do any setup. Just add coffee grounds to the filter, water to the borosilicate glass, and give it time to brew.
• It is multipurpose. You can use the Osaka Glass Cold Brew Maker to make tea or even hot coffee. This makes it one of the best options for those who like both coffee (Cold and hot) and tea.
• It has an airtight design that ensures that the brew is fresh even for a week.
• Good pour design. The design makes it hard to spill the coffee when serving.
• The filter is made of stainless steel which makes it more durable.
• Easily fits into the fridge.
• Easy to clean.
• Beautiful design
• The glass is light and delicate and therefore, you have to handle it with care.
• The handle is also not long-lasting.
Thermos Ice Coffee Maker ECI-660 MBL
This is another Japanese coffee cold brew maker that you should consider having. It is made by Thermos, a company whose name trademark is registered in more than 115 countries. The company has been in existence since 1904. This is a brand that you can trust.
The machine is specifically made to brew iced coffee. You brew the coffee by filing the double-wall area with ice, water, and coffee powder. You also have the privilege of controlling how much time it takes for the coffee to brew.
• Easy to clean.
• Suitable for brewing up to 5 cups.
• Easy to clean
• The design is made to appeal aesthetically.
• This cold coffee brew machine goes for around USD 117 on Amazon which is not value for money compared to other similar products.
• Not enough capacity when brewing for more than 3 people.
Hario Cold Brew Coffee wine bottle
This Hario product is made of polyester material and glass. The recommended brew time for this cold brew coffee maker is 8 hours. It works through fixed dilution. The water in the bottle has to come into contact with the coffee grounds in the filter.
The bottle has a dimension of 3.25 by 3.25 by 12 inches.
• Easy to clean with just tap water.
• Sleek and easily fits into many fridge doors.
• The filter is easy to fill and clean.
• The filter securely fits on the top so that no coffee grounds spill over to the coffee.
• It is aesthetically pleasing.
• You do not have to refrigerate to make the cold brew. You can just place it on the counter over time and the taste will be marvelous.
• The mesh is fine and works very well. No coffee grounds will pass to the coffee drink.
• The tall cylindrical bottle made of glass is easy to hold and pour.
• Not expensive compared to other alternatives.
• It can only make 3 cups at a time
• Numerous complain about using so many coffee grounds for a cup of coffee.
• Adding hot water to the coffee maker will destroy the plastic filter. Only cold water can be added to the coffee maker.
Ninja CP307 Hot and Cold Brewed System
Last but not least for our cold brew coffee makers, we have the Ninja brewer that is multi-purpose in nature. You can use it to brew coffee or even tea. You can also use it to brew hot and cold coffee.
Ninja CP307 Hot and Cold Brewed System also makes our list for the best iced coffee makers equipped with frothers.
This multi-purpose nature is great for people who enjoy both hot and cold coffee. We had to include it in this list because it offers value for money.
This multi-purpose coffee maker is made up of a combination of metal, plastic, and rubber.
• The buttons are easy to use. You just have to select the brew type, turn the dial to select the size and you are good to go.
• Its multipurpose nature makes it valuable to those who take tea and coffee and those who take both hot and cold coffee.
• The water carafe on the side has measurements so that you know how much water you are using without doing a pre-measurement.
• It has a flavor adjustment mechanism that makes it easy to tailor your coffee flavor to suit your taste.
• It can brew multiple sizes of pots.
• The drip stop is not automatic. You have to do it manually contrary to other coffee makers of similar nature.
• Its multipurpose nature means that you have to master its usage beforehand to be able to use it properly.
• The product is expensive compared to its competition.
There you go. The cold brew coffee maker you choose to purchase depends on your specific needs and of course, your budget.